Topic: Forum now powered by PunBB

You may be wondering why the Forum now looks a whole lot plainer. The simple reason is I've switched the forum over to PunBB from phpBB. phpBB was a major headache that required my constant tinkering to keep Russian spambots from registering new accounts every twenty minutes, and it was also slower than molasses. I've found punBB to be a worthy successor, the chief reason being an effortless database conversion. Hopefully this means a browsing experience that's a LOT faster.

What does this mean for you, however? It means you'll need to get your avatar again. To wit, I've put a link to an "Avatar Gallery" in the menu (along with a link to the home page!) which will get you over to the press photos page on the site. If you want to grab any other image, that's fine, too - that's just where the majority of them came from in the first place.

Everything about your account should work. If you have any problems, you know where to reach me.

Questions? Comments?

Earth Prime - The Definitive Source for Sliders
www.earthprime.com

Re: Forum now powered by PunBB

No prob. It's not that much different in appearance than the phpBB, just a lot plainer as you said. But plain can be good. Also, it's nice to see a link to the homepage at the top. smile

www.slidecage.com
Slidecage: A Sliders Fan Blog
twitter@slidersfanblog

I think it looks crap tbh and is more difficult to navigate, especially regarding profiles; much prefered it the way it was, but if its easier for you to deal with stupid spam bots then thats fair play.

"Nasty French planet, filled with shifty, back-stabbing, croissant-eating nitwits..." - Professor Arturo

I'll get around to skinning it so it looks more attractive soon. This site gets hammered by spambots, but the best thing about this software is that it doesn't take 30 seconds to load a topic page.

Earth Prime - The Definitive Source for Sliders
www.earthprime.com

Keep up the good work Matt.

I know exactly what you mean re: phpBB and Russian bots.

I run a motoring forum and I use YaBB. No problem with bots at all, but a friend who runs another phpBB forum is hammered by them every day.