A biological weapon has killed off over 99% percent of the earth’s men, and the race to repopulate is on. The three male Sliders are picked up and sent to a breeding facility, where they will be put to work. The novelty of having thousands of women after you quickly wears off and the men realize they need to get out of there. Teaming with another breeder, the four break out. Unfortunately, the authorities follow Wade to their hideout and they’re forced to run again.
Arturo is captured by Australian agents; Quinn gets separated from everyone in the confusion. Wade and Rembrandt defect to Australia hoping to slide from the embassy, but discover Quinn is not there. To save Arturo and Rembrandt from a lifetime of Vegemite, Wade brokers a deal between the Aussies and the Americans and double crosses both. Quinn makes it in time for the slide after making a serious decision to help his rescuer out with a little problem.
A biological weapon unleashed during the Gulf War has killed more than 90% of this earth’s men.
Wade has enough cash to check into the Dominion Hotel.
“Good Lord.” — as the Australian guard begins disrobing in front of him.
As Arturo walks past the Breeders of the Month award board, filled with pictures of Trevor Grant, it seems that this month there’s a new champion — a black man in the top left hand corner. While some fans are absolutely convinced that it’s a picture of Cleavant Derricks, Tracy Tormé assures that it’s not.
Though it isn’t in the dialogue, as the Sliders are escaping out of the breeding center they trod through a stream. The closed captioning displays the line “Aw, man, these shoes cost $200.” Knowing the characters as we do, it could only have come from Rembrandt.
Years ago, there was a conflict in the Middle East and the Iraqis released a viral agent that attacked the Y chromosome. As it spread around the world, it managed to kill off most of the men. Those that survived have been held captive by their their respective governments in a race of repopulation.
Australia was lucky enough to survive with the most men; Iraq ironically succumbed to its own aggression and is virtually male-free (an interesting turn of events given the region’s suppression of women’s rights).
So why such excessive sexual means to procreate? Why not just pull out the old test tube and crank out the sperm donation? Medical advances haven’t brought their level of technology to the point where in vitro fertilization is even known about, let alone a viable option.
So the men have sex six, seven times a day. In the United States they have the dubious distinction of being called “Patriots” and have been stripped of their lives, jobs and family committments so that they can impregnate as many women as possible. Examined, graded like cattle and pressed into service, these men may not even have the option to father a child with their own wife. The women who wish to have a child are chosen specifically (and meticulously) for their looks and their age. Only pretty, young women are chosen to be impregnated, and the choosing is done by the Bureau of Repopulation, or the BRP.
The female influence has had an obvious effect on the society. There are no typical ‘male’ toys on this world, no guns or ‘action figures.’ Johnny Cage (of Mortal Kombat fame) sits at a Ken doll-like tea party.
There is no forced breeding in Mexico, so many “Patriots” try to shirk their “duties” and flee their with the aid of Handlers, women who aid and abet escaped breeders.
“I thought ‘Love Gods’ was fun, in a light sort of way, with men being the studs of that world,” says Tracy Tormé.
· · ·
Jerry O’Connell’s favourite world took place in this episode. “I really liked the episode where 90% of the male population of the world was wiped out because of a disease, and the remaining 10% were being used for breeding purposes only. I liked that ratio — you’re guaranteed a date there!”
|Written by||Tony Blake & Paul Jackson|
|Directed by||John McPherson|
|Music by||Stephen Graziano|
|Edited by||Michael B. Hoggan, A.C.E.|
|Next:||The Good, the Bad and the Wealthy|
While it may be fun to fantasize about being among the last men on earth, the events leading to that situation are so far-fetched that you’re not likely going to put a lot of thought into it after the episode is done. While there are attempts to bring in additional sub-arcs, such as the effects on monogamy, everything happens in such a rush that nothing becomes fully developed.
In a world where germ warfare has exterminated most of the male population, Quinn, Rembrandt, and Arturo discover that they've been pegged as runaway "breeders," and every nation of the world wants to capture them.